Corona Cooking Chronicles: Spirit of Texas Winery Edition
Raise your hand if your favorite quarantine activity is eating? Yep, us too! Now raise your hand, if you are ever so slightly tired of going to the recipe box to find something new to cook? Yep, us too!
During these crazy times, we’re finding a lot of comfort in good food. We’re also finding that we need a glass (sometimes, bottle) of wine or a good beer after navigating homeschooling the kids as we work full days.
So we’re very grateful that our beloved winery, Spirit of Texas Winery, is here to solve both of these problems for us!
Brian and Moira McCue are sharing their favorite recipe to cook with wine. Don’t worry, the recipe only calls for one cup, the other three are yours to enjoy in a proper glass. Here is their recipe for homemade spaghetti sauce that is sure to please the whole family.
Pickup and pair
If you just can’t bring yourself to cook this weekend (and we don’t blame you), the McCue’s have some suggestions for takeout-friendly pairings.
As far as pairings go we’ve been told that with some of the limited selections at the grocery stores, home-cooked meals have gotten very ‘creative’. Luckily, good wine pairs well with almost everything! If you’re letting someone else do the cookin’, here’s some takeout options that pair well with our wines.
- Diamond R Store & Café | Owner Cody Rogers loves Diamond R’s savory chicken fried steak with our Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Lemongrass Asian Cuisine | The Sweet & Sour breaded chicken is spectacular with our sweet blush!
- Runaway Train Café | Brian loves the fresh Bacon Cheese Burger with a side of our smooth Aged to Reflection Red.
- Studebaker’s Cafe & Grill | The steak sandwich goes great with our Home Town Red.
- The Sticks BBQ | Any of their delicious BBQ is the perfect complement to our off-dry Rip-Roaring Red!
- Tr3s Leches Bakery & Café | Their amazing shrimp street tacos are excellent with our crisp Gewürztraminer.
- Prima Pasta | Tony’s salad is lovely with our Shamus Dry Rosé.
- The Pizza Company | Their XL Meats Pizza complements our [very] Italian Montepulciano Dry Red.
Hungry for a drink yet? We’re working hard to keep you happy and healthy during social distancing. We’re currently offering free shipping with any order of 4 bottles or more. We are also donating 5% of our net sales for the month of April to Good Samaritan Ministries, to help them out. Additionally, we hosted our 2nd ‘Barstools for Charity’ on Friday, April 17. Guests purchased virtual seats at the bar (via Zoom) and chatted with us. All proceeds ($15/seat) benefitted CASA.
“We’re very grateful for all the support we have received,” says Brian McCue. “We hope this community continues to support our local businesses every chance they can. Another way to show your support is to write reviews for them (Facebook, Google, Trip Advisor and Yelp). The reviews will help others learn more about what Brown County has to offer!”
Bon appetit, y’all.