In 1920, L.E. Shaw Sr., opened Shaw’s Model Laundry for business in Brownwood, Texas at its present location.
A very well respected community leader and businessman, he was a member of the local Lions Club, Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, Brown County Fair Association, and the State Laundrymen’s Association.
Shaw’s was one of the largest laundry facilities in Central Texas. With 12,000 square feet of floor space, a fleet of early Ford Model T delivery trucks, and an original workforce of 15, it was the largest enterprise between Fort Worth and El Paso.
At that time, many Brownwood businesses employed imported workers from neighboring towns. Mr. Shaw believed supporting local citizens who spent their money among the various enterprises in Brownwood, was crucial in the success of the early town.
In 1939, Shaw’s installed a rustic tree trunk fountain where women of Brownwood could obtain soft water free of charge. The fountain can still be seen today located on the front of the building.
From humble beginnings, Shaw’s has been known for its commitment to service and supporting the local economy. Moving forward with the new vision and new owners, our mission remains the same.
“Service That Satisfies”
508 N Center Avenue Brownwood, Texas 76801